7.13.2011

rainy days and mondays get me down

Hello! Hope you are all doing well. We are surviving. That sounds way more dramatic than it needs to because we are really quite fine. We are nearing our 5 month mark here and with it came homesickness. This weekend both of us were feeling it pretty badly. Along with the homesickness, is the never ending drizzling rain. Don't get me wrong, I like rain, but it rains constantly here! I am already looking forward to the end of August when it stops raining. Then we get the frigid winter which I am not looking forward to either! Man, am I ever a complainer?! Let's just say, I'm a spoiled Florida girl where the sun is always shining, I'm a mile from the beach and when it does rain, its for like 10 minutes and it just makes everything greener and prettier. I will stop feeling sorry for myself and accept the weather and move on. All that being said, Robert caught this beautiful picture while we were out shopping one evening. The skies were gorgeous and we somehow didn't mind sloshing through the puddles :) 

Followed by a glorious (and expensive*) caffe latte. 
We tried a new place and you definitely 
paid for the atmosphere :)~which, by the way, was lovely.


I made a few changes at school. I got a new classroom. My former one was pretty small, had a nice sized window but was covered up with posters, had a small desk, one large table for the kids, and there was always a faint mildewy smell going on that I hated. Well, when Jackie finished up her contract last month, her classroom across the hall became vacant. I wasn't initially thinking of moving, I was just wanting her desk and the desks for students. When I asked my boss if I could take them, he asked me if I would just be willing to change rooms. Also, they had just installed a brand new air conditioner into her room and didn't have the budget to do a few of the rooms, including mine. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal, huh? Well it is... my room is bigger, a better layout, and I have an actual real teacher's desk! :)

 Classroom #1


Classroom #2

I still have a lot to do on the walls and I got a computer since taking this picture, but its really coming along and I am enjoying my new classroom :) 

 For gym class last week I thought I would try a new game with the kids~ the dress up relay. Some of them got into it and had fun and some didn't like it so much. The class is about an hour and so we usually do about 15 minutes of pilates-type stretching and some upbeat "get your blood pumping" movements, play a game or two and then they get free play in the play room :) If anyone has any great indoor game ideas for 7 kids, I'd be happy to hear them :) 


As I mentioned, the homesickness set in pretty bad this weekend so we combatted it with fun. Well, actually I initially did it with intensive house cleaning and sewing but I'm just weird like that. After all that, we went out on a date and ate at a "steak and shake" style restaurant. Was it healthy? Not a chance! Did it make us feel at home? You bet! :) 




So, there you have it. Yes, it gets lonely here and there are days when I don't want to hear another word of Korean because I'm sick of not understanding those around me, but all that aside, I feel incredibly blest. I get to work alongside my partner and best friend, I have more than I need, I have the love and support of friends and family both near and far, and I have the love of my Heavenly Father who is with me every step of the way. Even when I feel lonely, He is there to let me know that I am never alone

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's learning to dance in the rain." 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I cannot imagine the homesickness. But I like your positive outlook despite that. Glad all is wel! :-)