2.20.2012

valentines day~

It never ceases to amaze me how opinionated people can be. I fully support individuals having the right to their own opinion, but when it results in an attack on various holidays, it seems like its a bit much. I love holidays!! I will get excited about President's day if it means I can plan a party, seriously I'm that bad. So, imagine my excitement for Valentine's day, granted one of the most cliche and cheesy holidays in the year, but I still love it! I scoured the internet for fun ideas, menus, and decorations to help me make this day extra special for Robert. I know all the stuff people say "you shouldn't be pressured into expressing your love on just one day.." "I don't need to do anything special on Vday because I show my love everyday..." and on and on it goes. For that matter, why should be celebrate birthdays since we treat the person like they are important everyday? What's so special about a birthday? Well, good for you. I happen to love a special day that I can express to my husband just how special he is. So, on to my rant... I got a little annoyed at all the anti-Vday stuff I found mixed in with the cute ideas. People get down right hostile about Valentines day! Really?! I understand that at the core, it is a romantic holiday but it is meant to be shared by everyone~ romantically or no. I always loved school valentines day parties where I gave out cute valentines day cards to all my friends. My parents always gave me a little gift on Valentines and so I never grew up thinking that if you didn't have a special someone, the day was void. It's a day about love, in all its forms. If you don't like it, skip it... don't ruin it for the rest of us! Ok, folks, and that is about as controversial as I get. There... I voiced my opinion~
 I LOVE VALENTINE'S DAY!!! :) 

This year, as we are in Korea, we decided to do things the Eastern way... For those of you that don't know the difference between the Eastern and Western way (because I didn't until moving here), February 14th, Valentine's Day,  is reserved for the boys. Girls make chocolate and give it to the boys. On March 14th, White Day, its all about the ladies. The boys buy chocolate and flowers for the girls. I have even heard of April 14th, Black Day, being reserved for the singles...so you see, we take care of everyone here :) There, now that we are all on the same page... the day was all about Robert. 

Being the sweetheart he is, he still bought me roses even though it was supposed to be all about him. 

I decided that the best way to hide his presents, was to buy stuff for myself as decoys... it totally keeps his presents secret and I get stuff in the process! Genius plan.... 


"We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness- and call it love- true love." ~ Robert Fulghum 

Robert and I laugh together everyday... 


The Dinner Menu

Tossed Salad
Tomato and Balsamic

Cinnamon Baked Squash
Steak with a Mushroom Glaze

Cake and Tea

My Handsome Valentine 







Time for dessert...


I would ordinarily make something myself but I had to be in Gimcheon for meetings all day Monday and then worked all day Tuesday... Lucky for me Paris is just a few steps away (or at least a bakery that claims to be Paris)....




Robert's response: "EVERYTHING is Pink!!" :)

So there you have it... how we celebrate Valentine's day in Korea. It was a really fun day and I really enjoyed making it special for Robert. I hope you had a love-filled day with those closest to you. I hope you realized just how blessed you are and how much those around you appreciate and value you. Because when it comes down to it... that's all Valentine's day is. 

Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit. ~Peter Ustinov

Who, being loved, is poor? ~Oscar Wilde

Take away love and our earth is a tomb. ~ Robert Browning

Love is absolute loyalty. People fade, looks fade, but loyalty never fades. You can depend on certain people...and that's love, even if it doesn't seem very exciting. ~ Sylvester Stallone 

You really shouldn't say "I love you" unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget. ~  8 year old Jessica

You learn to like someone when you find out what makes them laugh, but you can never truly love someone until you find out what makes them cry. ~ Unknown. 

No comments: