3.15.2012

Beginning a new chapter

I'm back!!!! I know, it's been forever... I'm finally in a routine and feel a little more in control of my surroundings. Things have been going well in the first few weeks of being here in Gimcheon and we are very happy where we are. I figured I would just give a quick recap of what's been going on in our lives recently... it may appear rather hodge-podge, but then again, that's a pretty accurate depiction of our life as of late. 

On February 25th we packed up the last of our things, took the subway to Seoul Station and then boarded the train headed to our new home... 

The train ride was so delightful...




We attended church on the University campus on Sunday and received these lovely little sweet rolls that are made fresh and with no preservatives. They are delicious :) 

Due to introduction exams, my classes were cancelled on Monday but I decided to go to the campus anyways and just take time to walk around and get a feel for the place... 



The first building is where Robert works~ He is a full time professor in the English department
The second building is where I work~ I am a parttime professor in the General Education department (English as a mandated elective course) 


The campus is beautiful and massive! I didn't take pictures of the entire thing because I was dumb and wore heels that day and got tired. I quit walking around after a few minutes... sorry, you don't get the full tour. 

Our brand new apartment building~ Key code entry is a common thing in Korea but our Seoul apartment was so old we didn't have such luxuries :) We feel like were pretty big stuff now that we have key codes... 

On Tuesday I began class... I snapped a picture of my classroom but since this was taken we have received new desks and the set up is different... 


The students doing an Introduction activity "speed dating" style :) 

We are still getting used to how cheap it is to eat out in Gimcheon. Remember me talking about how cheap it was in Seoul? Well, its a good $5-10 cheaper per meal. It's amazing! 

We discovered a coffee shop that just opened recently and the owner has very good English. When he found out we had just moved to Gimcheon, he brought out this muffin and called it his "Welcome to Gimcheon" muffin. :) 

By far this is my favorite sign in all of Gimcheon... Whatever in the world is the "Magnificent 7" doing in the countryside of Korea?! :) It makes me laugh every time I see it... 

A friend from work took me to coffee at a charming little coffee shop where we got to sit underneath a loft. It was so cozy and cute. I loved it and we had a lovely time together. 



We're enjoying the process of finding our niche here in Gimcheon~ locating our special spots, favorite restaurants, which stores are the best, etc. Its all an adventure again and we're loving it! Enjoy and stay tuned for more Gimcheon news and a house tour.... 

No comments: